Presidents & Campuses Stand with Students as DACA Is Rescinded
As news broke yesterday that the White House rescinded Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA), higher education leaders and campus communities around the state spoke out in support of their potentially impacted students. The responses included messages of solidarity and details to help students and their families understand the implications of the decision. Campus Compact has also issued a statement on why our organization stands with the DREAMers.
Critical information is available from the Immigrant Legal Resource Center here. The University of Minnesota Immigration Response Team (IRT) has made itself available for consultations with students. St. Cloud State Today also reminded students that, while DACA is ending, “The Minnesota Dream Act continues to give eligible undocumented Minnesotans access to the Minnesota State Grant, Minnesota Childcare Grant, Minnesota SELF Loan, in-state tuition rates and privately funded financial aid through public colleges and universities.”
Among the statements and responses are the following:
- Minnesota State Interim Chancellor Devinder Malhotra issued this statement.
- University of Minnesota President Eric Kaler issued this statement.
- Navigate Minnesota’s Juve Meza and Augsburg University President Paul Pribbenow held a press conference at the state Capitol, including representatives and students from the University of Minnesota, Minnesota Private College Council, Minnesota State, where the People of Color Indigenous Caucus issued a collective statement.
- HECUA issued this statement.
- Augsburg College President Paul Pribbenow issued this statement.
- Carleton College issued this statement.
- Presidents Mary Hinton of the College of Saint Benedict and Michael Hemesath of Saint John’s University issued this joint statement.
- President Rebecca Bergman of Gustavus Adolphus College issued this statement.
- Macalester College President Brian Rosenberg issued this statement.
- Metropolitan State University’s President Virginia “Ginny” Arthur issued this statement.
- North Hennepin Community College held a solidarity gathering on campus.
- St. Catherine University President Becky Roloff issued this statement.
- St. Cloud State University Interim President Ashish K. Vaidya issued this statement.
- University of St. Thomas leaders distributed related statements and resources.
- Winona State University’s Scott Olson issued this statement.
MEDIA RELEASE: Announcing 2021 Iowa &
Constitution Day Dialogue Guide
Critical Conversations Dialogue Series A