VISTA Community Corps
As a part of a new strategic alliance, Iowa and Minnesota Campus Compact merged VISTA programs into one with sites across both states with members building capacity for community-campus partnerships in health, education, and economic opportunity.
The merger allows for the expansion of successful models. Among the sites and focus areas are six member campuses in Minnesota working to address non-academic, low-income student needs to improve retention. According to the latest #RealCollege survey report fromThe Hope Center, 45% of college student respondents were food insecure in the prior 30 days, 56% of respondents were housing insecure in the previous year, and 17% of respondents were homeless in the previous year. VISTA members are supporting strategic efforts to address these issues through research, community partnerships, policy change, and more.
Health Corps members support sites in long-term approaches to the social determinants of health. This includes meeting low-income student needs and a variety of projects with health-focused community organizations.
- Anoka-Ramsey Community College, Coon Rapids, MN
- BrightSide Produce, St. Paul, MN
- Community Action Center, Northfield, MN
- Hamline University, St. Paul, MN
- Imagine Grinnell (supported by the Claude and Dolly Ahrens Foundation), Grinnell, IA
- National Kidney Foundation Serving Minnesota, St. Paul, MN
- Normandale Community College, Bloomington, MN
- North Hennepin Community College, Brooklyn Park, MN
- Open Door Health Center, Mankato, MN
- Rochester Community Schools, Rochester, MN
- St. Mary’s University of Minnesota Schools of Graduate and Professional Programs, Minneapolis, MN
- Southwest Minnesota State University, Marshall, MN
- University of Minnesota – Center for Health Interprofessional Programs (CHIP), Minneapolis, MN
- University of Minnesota – College of Pharmacy, Duluth, MN
Education Corps members support sites in long-term approaches to issues related to K-12 educational success and college access including literacy programs.
- Cedar Rapids Public Library, Cedar Rapids, IA
- Central College, Pella, IA
- City of Dubuque Human Rights Department, Dubuque, IA
- The Harkin Institute at Drake University, Des Moines, IA
- United Way of East Central Iowa, Cedar Rapids, IA
Opportunity Corps members support sites in long-term approaches to issues related to personal economic success including housing and employment support.
- Catherine McAuley Center, Cedar Rapids, IA (two members)
- Des Moines Civil and Human Rights, Des Moines, IA (two members)
- Willis Dady Homeless Services, Cedar Rapids, IA (three members)
“The work VISTA members have done at the Cedar Rapids Public Library has truly helped us transform our summer learning programs. Every year during our busy summer reading program, our library sees a spike in circulation, program attendance, and patron visits. Therefore our staff is greatly needed to manage our existing services and support our patrons at the library. Our VISTA members have expanded our capacity during our busiest season to do more outreach into targeted populations of our community, respond to new partnership opportunities, adapt to changing needs, and train our growing summer volunteer base. While we will always serve patrons coming into the library, the work of our VISTA members has helped us lay the foundations for expanding our outreach to support youth with barriers to accessing library resources.”
Apply to host a full time AmeriCorps VISTA member!
You are welcome to use the following templates to create your VAD.
You are welcome, but not required, to use any of the following templates to create your VAD.
About IAMNCC VISTA Community Corps
- AmeriCorps VISTA (Volunteers in Service to America) is a national service program that works to alleviate poverty.
- The IAMNCC VISTA Community Corps program focuses on economic opportunity and education, working with our VISTA host sites to strengthen relationships between institutions of higher education and the communities they serve.
2020-21 VISTA Host Sites
American Indian Cancer Foundation; Minneapolis, MN
C.A.R.E. Clinic; Red Wing, MN
Community Action Center; Northfield, MN
Community Pathways to Family Health and Recovery; Rochester, MN
Hamline University, St. Paul, MN
Hope Dental Clinic; St. Paul, MN
Macalester College; St. Paul, MN
National Kidney Foundation Serving Minnesota; St. Paul, MN
Normandale Community College; Bloomington, MN
Rochester Community Schools; Rochester, MN
Saint Mary’s University of Minnesota; Minneapolis, MN
Southwest Minnesota State University; Marshall, MN
University of Minnesota Center for Interprofessional Health Programs; Minneapolis, MN
University of Minnesota College of Pharmacy; Duluth, MN
WellShare International; Minneapolis, MN
IA & MN Campus Compact VISTA Leader; Minneapolis MN
Ahrens Family Foundation (Imagine Grinnell); Grinnell, IA
Buena Vista University; Storm Lake, IA
Catherine McAuley Center (Communications & Outreach); Cedar Rapids, IA
Catherine McAuley Center (Educational Services); Cedar Rapids, IA
Cedar Rapids Public Library; Cedar Rapids, IA
City of Dubuque; Dubuque, IA
Des Moines Civil and Human Rights; Des Moines, IA
Drake University; Des Moines, IA
Grinnell College; Grinnell, IA
Marion Public Library; Marion, IA
United Way of East Central Iowa (My Care Community); Cedar Rapids, IA
United Way of East Central Iowa (Opportunity Center); Cedar Rapids, IA
Willis Dady Homeless Services (Engagement Coordinator); Cedar Rapids, IA
Willis Dady Homeless Services (Financial Stability); Cedar Rapids, IA
Willis Dady Homeless Services (Volunteer Development); Cedar Rapids, IA
IA & MN Campus Compact VISTA Leader; Des Moines, IA
Seeking Summer VISTA host sites! Deadline to apply 2/10/2020.
Minnesota Campus Compact is seeking host sites for its summer of service program. Applicants can request to host one or more AmeriCorps VISTA Summer Associate (“Summer VISTA”). Summer VISTAs provide near full-time support to build the capacity of Minnesota nonprofits or government agencies in order to reduce poverty. Host sites are required to pay a cost share of $600 for each member they enroll into the program.
The deadline to submit an application is 11:59 PM Monday, February 10, 2020.
Interested applicants are strongly encouraged to review the application instructions prior to submission.