The 2021 Iowa & Minnesota Campus Compact awards honor almost 90 individuals and organizations whose accomplishments exemplify and celebrate the public purpose at the heart of higher education, nominated by 32 of IAMNCC’s member campuses. Presidents’ Awards recognize outstanding contributions in civic and community engagement by students, faculty, staff, collaborative teams, and community organizations on individual member campuses. Selective Engaged Campus Awards lift up outstanding achievements in the categories of alumni leadership, emerging innovation, and community collaboration from across IAMNCC’s network of 59 member colleges and universities.
The COVID-19 pandemic, the 2020 Election, climate change, and the ongoing national reckoning for racial justice have renewed purpose and solidified commitments to civic and community engagement across the Iowa & Minnesota Campus Compact network. The exemplary work and leadership of this year’s cohort of awardees demonstrates how our member campuses have risen to the challenge and met the current moment. In 2021, Iowa & Minnesota Campus Compact awards were given in the following categories:
- The Presidents’ Student Leadership Award recognizes an individual student or a student organization that models a deep commitment to civic responsibility and leadership, evidenced by initiative, innovative and collaborative approaches to addressing public issues, effective community building, and integration of civic engagement into the college experience.
- The Presidents’ Civic Engagement Leadership Award recognizes a member of the faculty, administration, or staff or for a group (e.g., advisory committee, task force, project team) that has significantly advanced their campus’ distinctive civic mission by forming strong partnerships, supporting others’ civic and community engagement, and working to institutionalize a culture and practice of engagement.
- The Presidents’ Community Partner Award recognizes a community-based partner or organization that has enhanced the quality of life in the community in meaningful and measurable ways and has engaged in the development of sustained, reciprocal partnerships with the college or university, thus enriching educational as well as community outcomes.
- The Engaged Campus Award for Alumni Leadership recognizes an alum of a member institution making strong contributions to their community and demonstrating the values of the civic mission of higher education.
- The Engaged Campus Award for Community Collaboration recognizes a collaboration co-created with community organizations, leaders, and/or partners that is deep, reciprocal, and transformational.
- The Engaged Campus Award for Emerging Innovation recognizes recent project, program, or initiative making unique and innovative contributions that demonstrate strong future potential, including student-led projects.
In addition to reviewing the awardees below, please visit the Facebook pages of Iowa Campus Compact and Minnesota Campus Compact as well as the Iowa Campus Compact YouTube channel and Minnesota Campus Compact YouTube channel for additional recognition and celebration of the 2021 cohort of Iowa & Minnesota Campus Compact award winners.