Executive Director Julie Plaut brings twenty years of leadership experience in civic engagement, including service-learning and engaged scholarship, as well as institutional change; she is also certified to facilitate Work on Purpose programming for students. Associate Director Sinda Nichols has significant experience in AmeriCorps program management, facilitation of group processes, experiential education, and youth development.
In recent years, for example, campuses have asked us to:
- Present on-campus workshops for faculty on different approaches to community-engaged learning and research, publishing opportunities, and advanced engagement work reaching across disciplines, units, or terms;
- Facilitate strategic planning with campus leaders eager to integrate and deepen engaged teaching, research, and co-curricular programs;
- Introduce a variety of stakeholders (community members, students, staff, faculty) to asset-based approaches to collaborative public work;
- Lead trainings for students and national service members on skills for difficult conversations, power and community mapping, and peer coaching;
- Speak at conferences about the case for civic engagement and effective strategies for faculty development;
- Serve on search committees for key civic engagement positions; and
- Participate in conversations about institutionalization efforts, new programs, and engaging graduate students.
Short-term Consulting (for Members and Affiliates)
Any member campus or affiliate organization is welcome to contact us for short-term advice and consulting as a benefit of membership/affiliation. Working on assessment or strategic planning? Looking for a speaker or resource on a specific topic? MNCC staff members are available by phone and email, as well as campus visits.
MNCC is also available to provide more substantial consulting, such as facilitating dialogues or conducting workshops specifically tailored to your needs or conducting an external program review. Members receive a 50% discount on these services.
Standard cost per staff trainer/facilitator:
$250 half day/ $500 full day (plus travel expenses) for members and affiliates
$500 half day/ $1000 full day (plus travel expenses) for non-members
If you would like to bring us to campus but the rates above are prohibitive, please contact us about the possibility of negotiating a different arrangement.
Of course, we aren’t assuming that all consulting and training has to come from us to you! If you would be interested in sharing your knowledge and experience with colleagues across the state, please be in touch. The MNCC staff is always eager to learn more about strengths in the network, so we can build on them when planning events, recommending resources to others, and writing for our newsletter, website, or publications.