Hear the Speakers at MNCC’s 2017 Summit and Awards Ceremony
Whether or not you were among the 300+ attendees of Minnesota Campus Compact’s summit and awards ceremony on April 5, 2017, you can be inspired by the speakers who invited all of us to expand our circles and use our gifts to create stronger communities.
To see the event’s printed program, which includes information on all award recipients as well as the day’s content, click here.
Listen to the morning audio to hear Mary Dana Hinton, president of the College of Saint Benedict and a member of the Minnesota Campus Compact board of directors (6:55-22:32), followed by Andrew Seligoshn, president of Campus Compact (23:55-36:14). Both of them speak eloquently about the importance of more inclusive dialogue and opportunity in higher education and beyond. (Before and between them is Ron Anderson, senior vice chancellor of academic and student affairs with Minnesota State and chair of the Minnesota Campus Compact board, who welcomes participants and introduces the speakers. To access the stakeholder analysis worksheet Dr. Hinton refers to, click here, or for a transcript of her speech, click here.)
Listen to the awards luncheon audio to hear welcoming comments from Julie Sullivan, president of the University of St. Thomas and a member of the Minnesota Campus Compact board (0:00-7:30), and board chair Ron Anderson (7:37-12:21), followed by volunteers from among the recipients of 2017 Presidents’ Student Leadership Awards, Presidents’ Community Partner Awards, and presidents’ Civic Engagement Steward Awards, each sharing “This I Believe” remarks about a belief that shaped or was shaped by their community engagement:
- Janet Lorenzo, representing the VALOR student veterans club, Inver Hills Community College (20:41-24:21)
- Kelly Fischer, student, University of Minnesota Morris (24:38-27:12)
- Aldontae Guess, student, Saint Mary’s University of Minnesota (27:24-30:23)
- Larry Hosch, representing the Greater St. Cloud Development Corporation (43:10-46:25)
- Filsan Ibrahim, Amherst H. Wilder Foundation (46:37-49:30)
- Laura Palombi, faculty, University of Minnesota (58:56-62:02)
- Scott Winter, faculty, Bethel University (62:14-68:40)
Finally, Andrew Seligsohn, president of Campus Compact, offers “This We Believe” principles driving our coalition, including a commitment to ensuring all people have an equal opportunity to meaningfully shape the future (71:37-79:39).
Listen to the afternoon part 2 audio to hear brief presentations from award recipients and other campus leaders sharing specific practices that are working to advance opportunity and inclusion in Minnesota (after introductory comments by Sinda Nichols, Associate Director of Minnesota Campus Compact):
- Wei Song, University of Minnesota, Twin Cities – Research on Engaged Pedagogies and Underrepresented Students’ Success (2:57-9:04)
- Stephanie Valle, Carleton College – Participatory Action Research on Underrepresented Students in STEM (9:45-14:31)
- Paul Spies and Yvonne RB- Banks, Metropolitan State University, Brett Grant, Voices for Racial Justice, Rose Chu, Minnesota Education Equity Partnership, and Stanley Brown, Hopkins Schools – Coalition to Increase Indigenous Teachers and Teachers of Color in Minnesota (15:40-21:33)
- Brett Schieve and Robert Reese, University of Minnesota Rochester – Living Learning Communities (22:30-27:41)
- Jamie Randall and Eric Munguia Cuautle, North Hennepin Community College – Indigenous Students and Students of Color Advisory Council (28:23-32:44)
- Muna Mohamed, Southwest Minnesota State University – Interfaith Dialogue (33:35-37:57)
- David Woodard, Concordia University, St. Paul – Reclaiming Conversations Initiative (38:34-43:13)
To see PowerPoint slides used by several of the speakers, click here.
Finally, mark your calendars now to join student leaders, community partners, and campus presidents, faculty, and staff at the 2018 summit and awards ceremony, April 19, 2018, at Hamline University!
More Blog Posts
February Community Engagement Resources
The 2017 Minnesota Statewide Health Asse
January Community Engagement Resources